Is it safe for dogs to eat raw dried figs?
The answer might depend on how your dog responds to eating fig. Some veterinarian say yes and some no. We recommend to try it out with your dog. Just offer 1-2 fresh figs in a week or so. If your dog seems fine with it you can let him eat fig, but as a good caretaker you must keep the limit as they are not so ideal for a dogs.
What are the benefits of figs for my dog?
The major benefit of figs is the burst of energy your dog gets after eating a fig. Figs also have other benefits like keeping the blood pressure in control due to the potassium content, weight loss, and satiating the appetite of your dog which keeps his/ her stomach full for long.
How do I know if my dog is allergic to fig?
If your dog is having the following symptoms after consuming figs, chances are he/ she is allergic to figs:-
- Skin/ mouth rash, sores, or inflammation.
- Itchiness in eyes
- Coughing and wheezing
- Diarrhea and vomiting
- Stomach ache or upset stomach
Is fig harmful for my dog?
Fig contains enzymes like ficin and ficusi which can be hard for your dog to digest. And that’s why it is recommended to give 1-2 figs per week as your dog might have side effects. The fig plant is harmful to dogs as it holds toxic content which can prove to be very dangerous for your dog. In case you have grown a fig plant at home, try to keep it away from your dog’s reach.
How do I know if my dog has consumed more than the recommended quantity of figs?
If you’ve bought figs from a shop, then you can simply count the number of figs left, but if you have a plant at home, observe the symptoms because fig saps are toxic for dogs and if he/ she came in contact with the plant, you should seek quick medical assistance for your dog.
What are the side effects of fig for my dog?
If fig doesn’t suit your dog, then you may observe the following side effects in your dog:-
- Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, or upset stomach
- Inflammation on the skin, and mouth along with sores and rashes.
- Low blood pressure due to the presence of potassium in figs.
- Fig poisoning, which is the worst and you should take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.
What precautions should I take if I decide to feed fig to my dog?
If you decide to feed fig to your dog you should take the following precautions:-
- Start with little amounts like 1 fig per week to check if your dog is comfortable with figs.
- Observe your dog carefully to see signs of potential allergic symptoms.
- Don’t keep fig plants in the house as those are toxic for your dog and can cause poisoning if consumed or skin allergies if touched.
- Always give figs in controlled amounts no matter how comfortable your dog is with figs.
What are some of the good nutrients and vitamins that figs have?
Figs provide energy to your dog due to the abundance of natural sugars present in them. Figs also have fiber, which helps in bowel movement. Apart from that, they’re rich in calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium, iron etc. which will help in your dog’s growth and health.
There are various precautions that you need to take care if you’re going to feed figs to your dog. It is recommended not to have a fig plant at your home and not to buy figs directly from the shops as a fig plant is toxic for your dog. Also, you have to check whether your dog’s body is capable of eating figs and it’s not showing any symptoms. If you can manage to take the required precautions, then feeding figs to your dog can be considered as a good idea.