Can dogs eat sultanas – dried green seedless grapes?

My dog loves eating sultanas. Should I be worrried
My dog loves eating sultanas. Should I be worrried

Is sultanas safe for dogs?

The answer to this question is NO. Sultanas have been reported to cause acute kidney failure or sudden development of kidney failure in some dogs. This discovery was first made in 1998, and by 2001, the Animal Poison Control Center of the American Association for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals had recorded enough cases to classify it as a true syndrome. In 2003, members of the Veterinary Information Network participated in a survey and 7.4% of those surveyed claimed to have treated at least one case of sultana poisoning.

What are Sultanas?

Sultanas sometimes referred to simply as golden raisins, is a dry golden grape made from a variety of seedless white flesh grapes. The skin of these fruits starts to be pale yellow, but unlike raisins, it does not darken when it dries. Compared to raisins, sultanas are smaller and sweeter. However, they are used in the same way as to how raisins are commonly used.

What do Sultanas contain that are harmful to dogs?

According to researchers, the main reason why some dogs experience kidney failure after eating sultanas, grapes, and raisins is still not known. More work is needed to understand the toxicity behind these fruits and whether there are other environmental factors that significantly cause this to happen.

What will happen to my dog if he/she consumed Sultanas?

Dogs that consume these foods will experience kidney failure 72 hours right after ingestion. But how to know if your dog received a toxic dose is actually very difficult because many veterinarians claim that some dogs can eat relatively large amounts of sultanas, grapes, and raisins without showing problems. It is estimated that the number of fresh sultanas and grapes associated with kidney damage is approximately 32 grams or 1.1 ounces per kilogram of dog weight. However, a 2005 study looked at 10 dogs who developed kidney failure after consuming more than 3 grams (0.11 ounces) of dried sultanas per kilogram (calculated as 20% of the weight of grapes). As you can see, there are no hard and fast rules so if you suspect your dog has ingested sultanas, grapes, and raisins then call your vet immediately.

What are the symptoms if my dog has eaten Sultanas?

If your dog has eaten sultanas, he/she may experience some of the following symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness, abdominal pain, and increased water consumption. Clinical symptoms that your veterinarian would look for during blood tests include blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, phosphorus, and calcium increase. In addition, they will also ask about decreased urination or no urination. If your dog shows these symptoms, even if you didn’t see your dog ate sultanas, it is best to call your veterinarian immediately

What should I do if my dogs have eaten sultanas?

If your dog ate sultanas in the past two hours, your veterinarian will most likely induce vomiting with injections (hydrogen peroxide or apomorphine) and activated charcoal. If your dog had eaten a lot of food a few hours ago and started vomiting the ingested food, intravenous fluid therapy may be recommended. In severe cases, hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis can be used to support the kidneys.

What precautionary measures should I practice for my dog to avoid eating sultanas?

Sultanas, raisins, and grapes are popular foods in many families, so it is best to stay vigilant and ensure that your dog does not have any access to these foods. Keep all these foods in the closet or refrigerator and make sure not to share them accidentally with your furry pets. Even if your dog is not sick, the pressure and expense of an emergency visit to the vet is by no means a good way to spend the day.

My dog ate pancetta, Will he be OK?

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.