Turmeric pills for dog’s inflammation
Most dog owners consider their pet dog as a part of their family and take care of him as they take care of their children. And, when their furry friend suffers from a health issue, the whole family is upset. Many types of health issues in dogs is caused by chronic inflammation and as a dog owner, you can prevent such health issues to a great extend by getting rid of inflammation or preventing inflammation. Many people today prefer to use home remedies for treating humans and dogs. And the best effective anti-inflammatory remedy is not a medical drug, but a bit of the yellow spice called turmeric, from your kitchen cupboard. It’s anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties help to treat and prevent several diseases. We all know that turmeric is good for humans; but can you give your dog turmeric? Read on to know the answer……
The answer is yes, but only recommended dosage
Turmeric is safe to be given to dogs because of its immense health benefits. But, only a small quantity should be given, which can otherwise upset its digestive system. The ingredient ‘curcumin’ in turmeric has several health benefits that can prevent and treat several diseases in dogs as in humans.
The benefits of turmeric for dogs
- The anti-inflammatory benefit of turmeric helps to reduce joint stiffness and pain and also helps to prevent arthritis pain in dogs. All dogs are subject to joint pains and turmeric is the best remedy.
- Turmeric is a powerful antibacterial agent. It helps to fight against infection and allergies. Turmeric can prevent bacterial skin issues and treat itchy skin.
- Turmeric has anti-cancer effect. It has the ability to kill the cancer cells and prevent it from growing.
- Turmeric improves heart health by preventing clotting of the blood and reducing cholesterol.
- Turmeric improves functioning of the liver by eliminating toxins from the body.
- The antioxidant benefits of turmeric prevent free radical damage and slow down the process of aging, thus increasing your dog’s life span.
- Turmeric is beneficial in treating allergies.
Side effects of turmeric for dogs
Though turmeric is beneficial in treating gastrointestinal issues and allergies in dogs, in some dogs, turmeric can cause adverse side effects such as:
- Stomach upset
Warning in using turmeric for dogs
- Turmeric increases the oxalate in the blood, so it should be avoided in dogs with kidney stones.
- Turmeric is a blood thinner, and dogs on blood thinner medications should not be given turmeric.
- Turmeric should also be avoided if your dog is on anti-inflammatory and diabetic drugs.
Recommended dosage of turmeric for dogs
When you start to introduce turmeric into your dog’s diet, make sure that the amount incorporated is very small, because it can upset your dog’s tummy. Also you wouldn’t know if your dog will like the distinctive taste of this spice. So start with small amount by mixing turmeric in his food, and gradually increase the amount over a period of two to three weeks. The amount of turmeric to be given to dogs depends on the weight of the dog. ¼ tsp. of turmeric for each 10 pounds of the dog’s weight is the recommended dosage. But the dosage should be started with only ¼ tsp. and then increased according to the weight, provided there are no side effects. If your dog suffers from digestive problems or shows adverse reaction to turmeric, stop giving him turmeric and seek medical attention.
With so many health benefits, it is definitely safe to incorporate a small amount of turmeric into your dog’s diet every day to help your dog remain healthy and live longer.