OMG! My dog ate nail polish and nail polish remover.

My dog ate nail polish

Is nail polish toxic to dogs?

Nail polish and nail polish remover contain several hazardous ingredients such as acetone, ethyl acetate, benzene, formaldehyde, toluene, phenol, tricresyl phosphate, and xylene. These ingredients are highly toxic to dogs. These chemicals are highly corrosive to the mucous membranes, skin, and gastrointestinal tract. The fumes generated from these chemicals also potentially harmful to dogs. Besides this, the nail paint also glued to the hairs and therefore damages them. Due to these reasons use of nail polish and nail polish remover is not recommended for dogs and other pets. If you really want to use them great care should be taken. It is advisable to wash away the leftover product since the chemicals and fumes can harm the dog. If you really want to paint your dog’s toes and nails, what you can do is to use specially designed nail polish for dogs. There are so many pets safe nail paint available in the market, some of which are:

1.    Pet head mommy nail polish

2.    Color Paw

3.    Warren London (yellow)

4.    Warren-London purple pen nail polish

5.    Fashion spa non-toxic dog nail polish Color Paw

6.    Lesotc Dog/pet nail polish set

Can Do dogs die from nail polish?

Nail polish contains several toxic ingredients that can harm your dog. Acute poisoning or toxicity can happen only when your dog ate a large quantity of nail paint. In most cases when your dog consumed a small amount of nail paint, it causes a little mild mouth or throat irritation and stomach upset. However, all the toxicity is due to wet nail paint, once the nail polish dried it is most likely non-toxic. There is no known report of nail polish causing the death of pets or dogs. However, it is always advisable to contact emergency vet service if you noticed anything wrong with your dog following the consumption of nail polish.

Can nail polish kill dogs
Can nail polish kill dogs?

What happens if a dog licks nail polish remover?

The first and foremost thing is what kind of nail paint remover you are using. If you are using special nail paint remover precisely made for dogs, then u do not need to worry anything about that since the majority of them use non-toxic products. But in case if you are using human nail polish remover then you need to take great care. Most human nail paint removers contain toxic chemicals that generate fumes and can potentially harmful to the dog. Licking a very minute amount of nail paint remover probably will not cause any significant toxicity except stomach upset. However, if you are worried, or feel or notice unusual behavior in your dog, it is recommended to consult your veterinarian immediately.

 Is it bad for dogs to smell nail polish?

Nail polish contains several hazardous chemicals such as acetone, formaldehyde, toluene, phenol, and ethyl acetate, benzene. These chemicals are highly toxic and often produce fumes that if inhaled can cause major problems in dogs.  Since the olfactory system (entail ~300 million olfactory receptors) in dogs is highly sensitive and they highly dependent on their nose to collect a lot of information. In this way, any damage to their olfactory system by means of toxic fumes of pain paint is highly concerned.

Is OPI nail polish safe for dogs?

OPI nail polish is one of the leading brands in the professional nail care industry, OPI, nail paints are high-quality and use “non-toxic” products. As per the safety norms, OPI nail polish dot uses the toxic trio of formaldehyde, DBP, and toluene. However, these nail paints are mainly for human use rather than the use of pets. You can use them for your pet as well but be cautious.

How long does dog nail polish last?

Usually, most of the nail paint goes off naturally within 2-3 weeks. The same happened in the case of dogs as well. Alternatively, you can remove it yourself by using non-acetone-based nail polish remover, if you to wear off it before. It is always advisable not to leave your dog unattended with polish remover.

 Why you shouldn’t paint your dog’s nails?

Painting the nail and toes is not a natural phenomenon among dogs. But nowadays most of the dog owners want to decorate the nails of their pet with nail paints. Since most human use nail polish contains a sum up of several toxic fumble chemicals that could be dangerous and cause toxicity in dogs. Besides this, nail polish can cause irritation and an allergic reaction to the skin, nose, and face.  Therefore, it is advisable not to use nail paints for dogs, and if you want to use only dog nail polish rather than human nail polish. Furthermore, it is also advisable not to paint your nails near your dog. It will be better if you keep your dog out of the room until your nails are completely dry.

My dog ate Elmer’s glue! What should I do?

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.