Will my dog be OK after a bee sting?
A bee sting can happen anytime, especially if your dog is playing in the garden or a park. If it got stung on the nose, face, palm, check whether the affected area is swollen. If yes, take it to a vet. If your dog accidentally messed with a beehive and got stung by several bees, take it to a vet immediately, without noticing how much your dog has been affected. In such a situation, your dog would feel a sudden shock and it may cause a mild heart attack.
What happens when a bee stings?
If your dog is stung by a bee, he would feel pain in the affected area, reddishness, swelling, inflammation, etc. In some cases bee sting is mild and would not require any vet treatment, hence you can follow some steps at home to prevent any unnecessary suffering.
What to do if my dog has been stung by a bee?
You need to follow some steps to ease its pain till you take it to a vet (in case it doesn’t get better).
- Try to be calm, it can’t be as bad as you think. By taking measures you can deal with the issue and your dog will feel good in no time.
- Spot the area which is affected and notice if there is any stinger. carefully remove the stringer if you’ve spotted it on the body with tweezers.
- Add water and baking soda together to make a paste and apply it to the site of the sting. This will help to reduce the pain and infection.
- If the area is swollen, you can apply an ice pack to reduce the swelling and pain too.
- If the pain is unbearable, contact its vet and ask permission to give a dose of oral antihistamine.
- Give fresh water to your dog and observe them carefully.
- Observe your dog for 20 minutes to 2 hrs as the allergic reaction can be delayed.
- You should also train your dog to come back to you when called. This way, when your dog is around them, you’d make it leave the bees alone. Therefore, it is important to teach your dog to come back when its name is recalled.
How to know if your dog has been stung by a bee?
It is important to figure out what is going on with the dog before knowing what to do about it as there can’t be a treatment when the cause is uncertain. Therefore, when your dog is behaving weirdly while playing in the park or in the garden you should see for the symptoms and be sure what to do about that later.
Some common symptoms which a dog shows after being stung by a bee are, drooling swelling, limping, whining, and if the bee-stung your dog on the paw, your dog will hold it up and bite where the stink went in, you can also notice itchy skin, reddishness or swollen area.
In what situation should you take your dog to its vet?
A bee sting is not that dangerous if stung by a single bee but there are times where a dog is being attacked by several bees and in this situation, there is no way you can treat your dog at home. You have to take it to its regular vet or call an ambulance. Some dogs show allergic symptoms after being stung by a bee and therefore, should be taken to consult a vet immediately.
How do I know that my dog is allergic to a bee sting?
Make sure that you are observing your dog carefully for hours after being stung by a bee. As in some cases, the symptoms are delayed, some common symptoms which you can observe in your dog are difficulty in breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, collapsing, swelling of body parts like mouth, throat, eyes or ears drooling, fits and weakness. you should not take allergic symptoms lightly and even if you are noticing one or two symptoms please consult its regular veterinarian to be sure of anything serious.
What can I give my dog for bad breath at home?
Leave a Reply