What can I give my dog for bug bites?
Before understanding how to treat your dog when a bug bites it, it is important to know when to treat your dog at home and when to take it to its veterinarian. Some dogs are allergic to two insect bites and will suffer from excessive itching, swelling, etc. and some dogs won’t get much affected by it. Observe your dog carefully and treat it well on time before it suffers a lot due to it.
What are the symptoms of getting a bug bite by a dog?
Some of the visible symptoms are swelling, an increase in the temperature of the skin, redness around the affected area, and itchiness. If you notice any of these symptoms, take the necessary steps to treat your pet.
How to treat insect bites on a dog at home?
The following easy steps can be taken to treat your dog who is Bug Bitten:
- Stay calm and observe your dog carefully and locate the affected area, exactly where the bug has bitten it. Also, make sure that there are no signs of multiple bug bites, it will require medical assistance.
- Most of the bees or bugs leave their stinger behind which will continue to pump venom into the skin of your dog and therefore, it is very important to remove the stinger using a rigid tool or tweezers.
- You can prepare a paste using baking soda and water, mix it well and apply it to the affected area.
- You can also use hydrocortisone creams on your dog which will help to reduce the itchiness and redness caused by the bug bite. Make sure that you take its veterinarian’s permission before using any kind of medical cream on your dog. Well, this cream is safe to use but it is better to take an expert’s advice.
- If you are applying any other cream or paste on the affected area, make sure that it does not contain ammonia as an ingredient because ammonia is corrosive and when absorbed through the skin it will cause systemic issues which will give your dog a hard time. It will be worse if not better.
- Do not use human lotion as it may contain calamine, zinc which are toxic to dogs.
- You can apply an ice pack to the swollen area, it will ease the pain and itching.
- You can give an oatmeal bath if you think ok that there is more than one affected area. The bath will be soothing and heal the bites at the same time.
- You can also apply an aloe vera gel on the area, make sure that the coating you are applying is very light and your dog doesn’t lick it off, and remove it before it gets into the skin, or else it would not make any difference.
When should I take my dog to a vet?
It is very important to know when there is an emergency or when can you treat your dog at home. The following are some symptoms of an allergic reaction or a serious condition, if you notice any of these symptoms take your dog to the vet immediately or call the emergency helpline number.
If your dog is acting weak or showing symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, trouble in breathing, extreme facial swelling, trembling, any signs of respiratory issue, collapsing, seizures and can’t walk properly, then you should not try to deal with it on your own and it would be better to take it to a vet immediately. Another common symptom is that your dog might make different vocal sounds to tell you that something is wrong, listen to it and act accordingly.
Can dogs eat sopressata salami?
Leave a Reply