My dog ate my blood pressure medicine , Lisinopril!

ACE-inhibitors Are Toxic To Pets
ACE-inhibitors Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes

What Is Lisinopril?

Lisinopril is a drug that commonly used to lower high blood pressure. It is also known as ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitor and commonly sold under different brand names e.g., Zestril, Altace. It works by relaxing blood vessels and thus allow smooth blood flow. Since the drug reduces high blood pressure it is used to treat strokes, heart failure, kidney problems and to improve survival after a heart attack.

Can Lisinopril be used for veterinary use?

Yes, Lisinopril also widely used for lowering the blood pressure in cats and dogs. However, drug use is not FDA approved but the drug is in common practice among veterinarians. The usual dosage of the drug lisinopril in dogs is 0.2mg/lb 1 or 2 times a day.

What are the common side effects of Lisinopril in dogs?

The medication is usually safe with very little effect. However, if you notice any of the side effects stop giving the medicine to your pet and seek emergency veterinary medical attention.

∙         Loss of appetite
∙         Allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing; swelling of the tongue, lips and/or face
∙         Hives
∙         Low breathing
∙         Vomiting
∙         Diarrhea.

How long does it take for lisinopril to wear off?

After ingestion, a drug typically takes 20-30 minutes to completely absorbed in the body. Once absorbed, based on its stability i.e. half-life the drug undergoes metabolic degradation. The Lisinopril is a vasodilator and therefore its average half-life of lisinopril is ~12 hours. However, the drug effect lasts for almost 24 hours and sometimes even takes 48 hours.

What should I do if my dog ate Lisinopril?

If you believe that your pet dog ingested blood pressure-lowering drug Lisinopril, you need to contact the veterinarian immediately. The first and foremost thing you need to do is to induce vomiting as soon as you know that your dog ate blood pressure-lowering drugs. Since most of the medicines are absorbed from the stomach in a very small-time window of 20-50 minutes following ingestion. So, if you use anything that can induce vomiting in your dog (such as the use of oral hydrogen peroxide) typically within 20-30 minutes you can save your pet by taking out the drug from the stomach. But if it has been more than two hours’ time then keep an eye on your dog. The second thing that you can do is to know what amount of the drug your dog consumed because it’s the amount that can determine the severity of the problem. Lisinopril is considered a relatively safe drug and most of the effect wear off in 24 hours if not overdose. So, if your dog ate a relatively small amount of the drug dot panic and look after your dog closely and if found any symptoms of drug overdose seem immediately medical emergency.

What happens when a dog eats human medicine?

What are the common diagnoses if your dog ate blood pressure lowering medicines?

To determine whether your pet ingested ACE-inhibitor medications or not the veterinarian usually perform a physical exam of respiratory rate and heart rate. Besides this, the veterinarian also run multiple tests such as:

  • Complete blood counts (CBC)
  • Blood Chemistry to check liver enzymes
  • Urine tests to check the liver and kidney function
  • Electrocardiogram test to verify the heart electrical activity.

What are the common symptoms of Lisinopril Overdose?

The most common adverse symptoms of Lisinopril overdose in dogs are similar to other blood pressure-lowering drug symptoms. Some of the most common symptoms are as follows.

  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Behavioral changes
  • Low blood pressure
  • Vomiting
  • Change in heart rate while resting
  • Excessive drinking or urination
  • Collapse
  • Bruising 
  • Nosebleeds

What are the common treatments of Lisinopril Overdose?

  • The first line of treatment for Lisinopril or any other ACE-inhibitors Poisoning in Dogs is to monitor them closely.
  • If the amount of drug consumed is not high your pet will be safe at home. However, informing your vet is always advisable.
  • If you are not sure the amount of drug your pet consumed or if you know that your pet consumed a high dose taking your pet to the veterinarian is the safest option.
  • To reduce the drug absorption from the GI tract the veterinarian usually gave the activated charcoal that binds with Lisinopril and thus prevents its absorption.
  • To access the Lisinopril toxicity on kidney function veterinarian performs blood tests.
  • If Lisinopril affect kidney functions veterinarian take immediate action with additional medications to correct the issue.

What happens if a dog drinks vodka?

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.