My dog ate laundry detergent what do I do?

dog is vomiting
When should you be concerned about a dog throwing up?

MLaundry detergent is also known as washing powder mainly contain builders, surfactants, bleach, and several other harmful chemicals. Due to the presence of these chemicals when ingested laundry detergent can cause severe gastrointestinal problems, respiratory problems, and lethargy. Dogs are one of the most common pets who often ingested laundry detergent or dishwasher detergent.  The most common clinical signs associated with detergent poisoning in dog poisoning is a gastrointestinal problem.

Following is a list of different clinical outcome following detergent ingestion in dogs

  • Lethargy
  • Gastrointestinal problems
  • Respiratory problems
  • Pharyngeal irritation
  • Aspiration pneumonitis

Is washing or laundry detergent harmful to dogs?

Detergent Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis
Is dish soap toxic to dogs?

Most soaps and detergents are made up of builders, surfactants, bleach, and several other harmful chemicals. When a dog accidentally ingests some amount of these detergents, they develop mild, self-limiting gastrointestinal distress mainly represented by drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. At a lower amount, they are not so harmful but in large quantities, they can cause serious problems including death. Therefore, it is always advisable to keep soap, detergent, and dishwasher pods out of reach from your dog.

Can laundry detergent kill a dog? Can a dog die from eating soap?

It is hard to tell Whether a dog dies from eating soap or not. Detergent poisoning and associated death in dogs are depending on a few things like the kind and quality of soap and the amount ingested. Some soaps and detergents are mild and hence did not cause severe clinical outcomes while others are more concentrated i.e. pod type detergents. Furthermore, the amount of detergent is another feature, at a low amount the most detergent cause lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, gastrointestinal, and upper airway problems. However sometimes when ingesting detergent aspirate and develop aspiration pneumonitis it led to death.  

What should I do if my dog ate dishwasher or laundry detergent?

Following is a to do list, if your dog ate detergent (dishwasher, laundry or any other kind of detergent) liquid or powder, pod form, or any other form.

  • First and foremost, thing is to determine what amount your dog ate. If your dog ate a little you dot need to be worried. But if your dog ate a good amount you need to call your vet immediately. Based on your information and dog symptoms your vet will determine whether you need to visit the vet’s office or if you need to watch for any symptoms and ask you to call if there’s a problem.
  • In case of detergent ingestion never try to induce vomiting by your own. This trick is useful with other things but not with detergent poisoning.
  • Most of the time treatment varies depending on the amount of detergent ingested. If low quantity ingested, your vet can ask you to give some water or milk to your dog to reduce or dilute the detergent. Contrary, if a large amount has been ingested your vet may ask for immediate medical assistance and do a urinalysis and bloodwork.

What are the symptoms my dog may have from detergent poisoning?

Symptoms of detergent, poisoning may vary based on the quantity and ingredients of the dishwasher detergent ingested. Following is a list of different symptoms of detergent poisoning.

  • Lack of appetite
  • Excessive watering of the mouth
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscle weakness
  • Gastrointestinal lesions
  • Swollen abdomen
  • Chemical burns in the mouth and esophagus
  • Irritation in nose, eyes, skin, paws
  • Body shaking
  • Trouble breathing
  • Coughing
  • Inflammation of lung tissue
  • Disorientation
  • Excessive Drooling
  • Seizures

How to prevent my dog from eating laundry detergent?

The easiest way is to keep all your cleaning product out of reach of your dog on a top-shelf. Alternatively, you can also use child safety locks in your cupboards to prevent your dogs from opening doors.

What are the possible treatments and diagnostics if your dog ate laundry detergent?

  • Gastrointestinal protectants. As we know that laundry detergent can cause gastrointestinal discomfort and chemical burns therefore it is advisable to use PPI.
  • Antiemetics: Antiemetics belongs to a class of drugs used to treat various causes of nausea and vomiting. Since detergent ingestion can cause continued vomiting and aspiration, therefore, the use of antiemetics would be helpful.
  • Radiographs. Radiographs help to diagnose, if there is aspiration pneumonitis or not.
  • Nebulization. Nebulization will help to keep the lungs hydrated.
  • Bronchodilators. It will help with bronchospasm.
  • Antibiotics. It will help to avert secondary infections in the lungs.
  • Coupage. It will help to clear secretions from the lungs.
  • Oxygen. It will help, if your dog displaying respiratory or breathing problems.

Can a dog get sick from eating a dead bird?

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.