Is marshmallow safe for dogs?
No dogs cannot eat marshmallow peeps. Marshmallow peeps are usually made from corn syrup, gelatine, sugar, vanilla extract, along with a coating of either corn starch or confectioners’ sugar. All of which doesn’t add much nutritional value to your dog’s diet or added health benefits. On the other hand, some marshmallow peeps can even be toxic to your dog and cause severe harm to your dog’s health.
Why are marshmallow peeps not good for my dog?
Marshmallow peeps are not good for your dog because of the ingredients that are used to make the marshmallow-like vanilla extract, corn syrup, gelatine, sugar, etc. which doesn’t add much nutritional value to your dog’s diet. On the contrary, they can be toxic too for your dog if the marshmallow is made with synthetic artificial sugars like Xylitol. Moreover, it can also cause obesity in your dog due to the sugar content.
What are the health risks marshmallow peeps pose to my dog?
The common health risks marshmallow peeps pose to your dog are obesity and diabetes due to the sugars and lots of calories in marshmallow peeps. Other health risks can be gastrointestinal upset or pancreatitis with symptoms like lack of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhoea. If the marshmallow is made from artificial sugars like Xylitol then the situation can be worse as those are toxic to your dog, they can cause dangerously low blood sugar, which can lead to seizures and can even be fatal to the dog if it is not treated properly.
What should I do if my dog ate marshmallow peeps?
If your dog ate marshmallow peeps in a large amount, you should seek medical assistance for your cute canine. In case your dog is experiencing symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea, or lack of appetite you will know it is all because of marshmallow overdose and it needs immediate help.
Then try to settle your dog’s stomach if he seems nauseous. You can give either Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
or Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet for each 10-20 pounds of body weight in every 24 hours.
It is advised to withhold food for 12-24 hours.
Then you can resume with a bland diet containing increased fluids to keep him better hydrated.
In case your dog consumed a small number of marshmallow peeps then it is not a big concern unless it contains toxic substances for your dog. Most of the dogs would be fine having minor symptoms if they consume little amounts of non-toxic marshmallow peeps.
Should I give marshmallow peeps to my dog?
No, you shouldn’t give marshmallow peeps to your dog. It does not provide any benefits to your dog’s health, rather it has the potential to worsen it. They can lead to obesity, pancreatitis, high blood sugar, and diabetes in dogs. A dog’s diet should be rich in protein, natural food accompanied by water.
If your dog is very fond of marshmallow peeps then you may give just 1 that too only on some special occasions, but try to avoid it as much as you can. There are various healthy foods available for dogs. In case your dog has weight issues, is suffering from diabetes or any insulin disorder then you should not give marshmallow peeps to your dog at all.
How to stop my dog from eating marshmallow peeps?
To prevent your dog from eating marshmallow peeps, you can try keeping the marshmallow peeps away from the dog’s reach. Training your dog by giving alternate treats and maybe light punishment if your dog eats marshmallow peeps. But remember, do not physically abuse or shout at your dog as it cannot understand the reason behind it. Your dog will be scared of you and still won’t understand what wrong it did. Always opt for a positive approach.
Leave a Reply