Can vodka kill dogs?

my dog accidentally drank vodka
my dog accidentally drank vodka

Can I Give My Dog Vodka?

Relaxing in the evening with a peg of our favorite drink is something that most of us enjoy. But there are some heartless people who make their dog also drink a bit of alcohol. The other day I saw a video of a man making his dog drink vodka and enjoying the dog’s reaction. In fact he had circulated the video among his friends and they also had a hearty laugh at seeing the dog making a fool of himself. The poor dog did not know what was happening to him. This is torture! There are many people who pour a small amount of vodka in their dog’s bowl, without knowing if dog’s can be given alcohol. Even if it is hilarious, do you really know if you can give your dog vodka? If you want to know the answer, just scroll down…..

The answer is no

Vodka is definitely not a drink for dogs. It is dangerous and toxic for dogs, resulting in alcohol poisoning, and it can even kill your pet. If you give your dog vodka or if your dog accidently drinks vodka, your dog will show signs of alcohol ingestion in a few minutes; Take him to the vet immediately because treatment should be started early enough if you have to save your dog.

What happens if your dog drinks vodka?

When your dog is exposed to alcohol, you will notice the following signs and symptoms. Your dog will suddenly or gradually behave in a different manner.

  • Drowsiness
  • Fainting
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive urination
  • Dehydration
  • Your dog will be unable to stand or walk properly
  • There will be lack of co-ordination.
  • Heart rate will be slow
  • Breathing difficulty
  • Depression
  • Dog will suffer from diarrhea
  • Dog will become disoriented
  • Dog will suffer from seizures
  • Body temperature will drop
  • Blood sugar level will drop
  • Hypersalivation (a condition characterized by excess saliva in the mouth)
  • Foam around the mouth
  • Loss of body control

what happens when a dog gets drunk

Harmful effects of excessive alcohol consumption by dogs

  • Life-threatening toxicity
  • Respiratory disease – several respiratory disorders like breathlessness
  • Depression of the central nervous system
  • Damage of kidneys
  • Damage of liver
  • Brain damage
  • Coma
  • Cardiac arrest
  • Metabolic acidosis (a condition where there is increase level of acid in the blood. This can happen if the kidneys does not function properly and are unable to excrete the excess acid)
  • Death

Treatment for alcohol ingestion in dogs

The treatment for alcohol poisoning depends on the amount of alcohol ingested by the dog. Normally the vet will induce vomiting. In some cases activated charcoal will be needed to absorb the alcohol. If your dog is dehydrated, intravenous fluids consisting of electrolytes will be given. If your dogs suffer from seizures, medications have to be given to stop the seizures. And, in severe cases of alcohol poisoning, if your dog is suffering from low heart rate, breathlessness or heart attack, he will be put on a ventilator.

Now that you have understood how dangerous it is to give your dog vodka, I am sure you will never ever think of pouring a small amount of vodka in his bowl. Remember, alcohol is harmful for dogs; don’t ever make your dog drink alcohol and sit and enjoy his reaction to it; it is definitely not a laughing matter. Drinking vodka can permanently harm your pet, or you can lose your furry friend forever! If you love your dog, keep alcohol or vodka and other such drinks away from him!!!

What do you do if a dog drinks beer?
What do you give a dog for arthritis pain?

1 Comment

  1. Oh man, I would never give my dog any alcohol, especially liquor! People should be charged with animal cruelty who give their dog any alcohol. This reminds me of people who blow marijuana smoke in their dog’s face, I just think it’s so wrong.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.