My dog ate pesticide, Indoxacarb. Now What?!

Pesticides Poisoning in Dogs
How does a dog act when they are poisoned?

What is indoxacarb?

Indoxacarb is a pesticide that is used to kill lepidopteran larvae such as butterflies and moths. It is an oxadiazine based pesticide established by Dupont and marketed under various brand names such as Avaunt Insecticide, Steward Insecticide and Indoxacarb Technical Insecticide. Indoxacarb is highly lipophilic and acts mainly through inhibiting neuronal sodium channel. Indoxacarb is an important active component in a large number of household insecticides including ant and cockroach baits. Indoxacarb is also widely used in pet products (veterinary purposes) to kill fleas in dogs and cats.

Is indoxacarb toxic to dogs?

As per the recommendation of EPA (Environment Protection Agency), Indoxacarb is categorized as a “reduced-risk” pesticide that can cause moderate to low acute and chronic toxicity. Clinical studies suggest that indoxacarb does not cause developmental, mutagenic, carcinogenic, or reproductive effects. However, in some cases neurotoxicity was observed but only when fatal doses were used. In dogs, life-threatening clinical signs were not observed following indoxacarb ingestion. However, in some cases, oral administration of indoxacarb (18-19 mg/kg) causes Heinz bodies and hemolytic anemia in dogs.

Is cockroach poison or bait harmful to dogs?

Cockroach poison or bait contains different chemicals such as fipronil, boric acid, indoxacarb, chlorpyrifos, abamectin, and hydramethylnon. Most of them act as a slow-acting stomach poison that effectively kill the cockroaches either by topical application or by ingestion.  To attract the insects and cockroach most of the bait preparation contain peanut butter and/or sugar. It means tasty treat and attractive treats for pets as well. However, in most of the products only a minute amount of bait is added. In the majority of the cases, they are not life-threatening but can cause stomach upset if eaten in a low amount. However, severe toxicity can be possible if a large quantity is consumed by your dog. Most of the chemicals used in cockroach bait are irritants to dogs and therefore cause vomiting, drooling, nausea, and diarrhea.

What to do if my dog ate pesticide?

Is Terro toxic to dogs?

TERRO offers a wide range of pest control solutions (insect traps, insect baits, and insect killers) to eliminate invading home insects such as ant, spider, fruit fly, bugs, hornet, etc. To control the ants, Terro provides several different ant baits formulations namely TERRO® indoor ant baits, TERRO® Ant Killer, and TERRO® Liquid Ant baits. All these formulations contain one common active ingredient named as Borax. It is a natural powdery white mineral that is used for cleaning purposes and present in many of household items such as soap and toothpaste. Borax is deadly for ants but has very low toxicity for pets including dogs. In most of the cases, Terro does not cause any problem in dogs, except some symptoms of stomach upset or distress. However, if your dog has eaten it in a large amount it can be toxic. In some cases, Terro toxicity can occur even when your dog consumed a little (if your dog is allergic or sensitive to borax).

What happens if your dog eats Terro Ant Killer?

Terro Ant Killer contains borax that is caustic in nature and causes dehydration in your dog. The common symptoms of Terro ant baits poising are excessive drooling, vomiting, pale gums, and lethargy. In most cases, symptoms will go over time without the need for veterinary treatment. It is advisable if your pet consumed excessive large amounts of bait and there is a sign of an allergic or any other reaction, call your veterinarian immediately. Besides this, Terro ant baits can also cause eye irritation, if it splashes into the eyes. Sometimes, there is a possibility of chocking danger for your dog due to the container holding the Terro. It is recommended that if you notice the sign of chocking such as blue gums, loss of consciousness gasping, and pawing contact your vet instantly.

How do you treat a poisoned dog?

The best way to treat a dog poisoned by pesticides is to induce vomiting by means of any emetic (hydrogen peroxide or by saltwater). However, it is always recommended to do so on the instructions of your veterinarian. If you are not able to induce vomiting, bring your dog to your vet or local animal hospital so that vet can give your pet an anesthetic and flush the stomach.

 My dog ate nail polish and nail polish remover.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.